Without a doubt the benefits of choosing a soy candle over a regular candle are huge.
And that’s even if you don’t take any health factors into consideration. Don’t worry we’ll get into those later. See the table of contents below.
For a start, unlike regular paraffin candles which are made from petroleum, coal or shale oil, soy candles are made from plants. They’re made from the hydrogenated oil extracted from soybeans. Soy grown in the US which is responsibly farmed causes no deforestation or degradation, it’s sustainable, renewable and the wax is biodegradable.
Soy candles are not generally mass-produced in factories. They are most often made by artisans working in or running small companies who know their customers are looking for a healthier more natural alternative to paraffin candles, so you are more likely to find more natural fragrance oils and therapeutic grade essential oils than the cheap, synthetic fragrances found in many regular candles.
You might have heard that they don’t smell as strongly as regular candles. While it’s true that some regular candles might contain enough cheap, strong, synthetic fragrance to knock an elephant out at 20 paces, soy candles can and do hold their scent extremely well. In fact, they generally have a very good scent throw and what’s more, you get a much cleaner burn and, therefore, cleaner scent without the impurities and emissions that come with paraffin.
While you might think they cost a little more, soy candles will last almost twice as long as regular candles.
Why’s that? Because soy wax is by nature softer than paraffin wax so when you light a soy candle, it doesn’t take so much heat to melt the wax around the wick. You see, for a candle to say lit, it needs a pool of liquid wax to be drawn up into the wick to fuel the flame. Because soy wax melts more easily, the flame doesn’t have to work so hard, burning up the wick to melt a pool of wax, so soy candles burn cooler, slower and much longer. Simple!
Let’s take a look at the best natural soy candles out there:
|The Best Soy Wax Candle:|
Malicious Women Candle Co.
|The Best Soy Wax Candle For Men: |
|The Best Soy Wax Candle For Your Home: |
Aira Soy Candles
|The Best Recycled Wine Bottle Soy Candle: |
Paddywax Eco Candles
The Best Soy Candle Brands Reviewed:
The Best Soy Wax Candle: Malicious Women Candle Co.
Let’s face it, it’s all about the labels on these soy candles, and just so you know, the images have been digitally modified so as not to offend but the actual labels hold nothing back. That said the arty labels look amazing. We love the use of type and old yellowed natural paper look, they’re actually made from recycled kraft paper and they definitely add a classy more high-end vibe to the candle, you’re not thinking cheap t-shirt slogan here.
The dark 9oz apothecary style glass jar is a nice touch too. Essential oils or possibly a magic concoction made up by a Victorian chemist that has to be kept away from the light comes to mind. There’s no downside to the candles being in dark glass because the labels take up so much of the jar anyway. You’re not going to see the candle inside from the side, just the top, so rather than being a drawback, the dark glass only adds to the look.
The actual candles inside are all soft white. They are hand-poured and made from organic soy.
As for the scents, they are way less controversial than the labels. They all smell pretty amazing, think natural and subtle leaning more towards the plant and herb side. There are no weird combinations so they’re pretty much going to appeal to everyone.
It’s actually a good thing that none of them are too extreme in terms of their scent profile, because, let’s face it, the slogans are basically how you’ll be choosing one of these candles and there are quite a few to choose from. They all make a bold statement and if you didn’t notice, they’re all infused with a witty tag line too.
Choices include Boss Lady infused with Hustle & Caffeine, May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way infused with A Sense of Defiance, She Believed She Could. But was Really Tired. So She Didn’t infused with Naps & Snacks, and Mom. Thanks for Putting Up with My Sh*t infused with Sorry I Cuss So Much.
You can even choose your own zodiac sign candle shown above left, which also comes with a witty tagline!
Here Are Our Favorites:
Sh*t. F*ck. D*mn infused with Sentence Enhancers – Citrus & Sage or alternatively Oakmoss & Amber.
Beards, Ink & Muscles infused with Spontaneous Panty Dropping- Fig, Cedar & Moss.
It’s All About You Isn’t It? You Selfish Bitch! infused with Happy Birthday Wishes! – Raspberry & Champagne.
F*ck It! infused with Just F*ck It – Fig, Cedar & Moss.
Every Great Mom Says The F Word infused with Nouns, Verbs & Adjectives – Fresh Espresso with Caramel & Vanilla.
Bitches Get Sh*t Done infused with Ambition – Baking Spices, Sweet Cinnamon, & Black Tea.
High A F infused with Billion Dollar Ideas – Cannabis Flower & Patchouli.
Happy Birthday infused with Alcohol, Low Standards, and Poor Decisions – Vanilla Cupcake.
I Do What I Want infused with Zero F*cks – Lemon Drop Martini.
Bitch… you got this! infused with Positive Vibes – Eucalyptus, Mint, Rosemary, and Lavender.
If you want to know what inspired these candles, the Malicious Women Candle Co. was founded by one woman’s quest to create the perfect candle in honor of her best friend Laura who she lost to suicide. Lacie Marsh-Carroll who lives and runs the all-woman company in Lake Stevens wanted to give something back in memory of her friend. So for every candle sold a portion of the proceeds goes to support the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). The company has also raised money for several other charities including those supporting women’s issues & empowerment programs, and breast health awareness.
What We Like:
- Wide Choice of Fragrances and labels – The scents are natural smelling and delicate so definitely not too overpowering. However, with this candle, you’re pretty much going to choose by the label first. The good thing about these candles is that some scents come in more than label. So if you like the scent but the label isn’t suitable there maybe another label that’s more suitable. Many are listed above and new lines are being added all the time.
- Organically Grown Soy With A Recycled Kraft Paper Label – Organically grown and manufactured in the U.S. If you are concerned about the environmental impact of producing soy, it pretty much depends on how and where the soy is grown. US soybean production causes no loss of forests or degradation. No pesticides or herbicides are used in the production of Organic soy. Soy wax is also 100% biodegradable and the label is made from recycled paper so yes it’s eco-friendly.
- Good Burn Time – The 9oz jar size should give you approx 45 -50 hours of burn time. Burn time is generally dependant on the size of the candle, but also on the size and make-up of the wick and the ratio of fragrance to wax. Soy candles burn cooler and therefore slower than regular paraffin candles. 40 -50 hours of burn time denotes a good ratio of wax to scent and a good wick.
- Braided Cotton with Paper Core Wick – Braided cotton encourages a slower more even burn, it’s also perfect for absorbing and delivering the melted wax and fragrance to the flame while the paper core that runs down the center of the braided cotton gives the wick stability and stiffness allowing the wick to remain upright when burned and super easy to trim.
- Reusable Jar – Soy candles are most often found in jars due to the soft consistency of soy wax- the jar provides support for the candle. You can typically reuse any soy candle jar but you are definitely going to want to reuse these jars. Carefully fill the jar with hot water making sure the label doesn’t get wet -any remaining wax should float to the top and harden as the water cools. Plus it has a Secure Lid. Not all soy candles have lids and those that do often have a metal cap that just fits over the top of the glass. The apothecary-style jar lid screws shut and so keeps the fragrance fresh when not in use. It’s also handy for extinguishing the flame – just screw the lid back on.
- Gift Idea – The individual nature of the witty and inspirational labels make these candles especially ideal to give as a personalized gift. Plus it’s All in a good cause because a portion of the proceeds from these candles goes to help those in need. See above.
Things to Consider:
- Light Scent Strength – Although lovely, the aroma is not as strong as some if you want something a little stronger the Cozy Glow Hand Made Soy Candle might be a better option.
- Price – For their size, they do cost a little more than some, in fact, they are around the same price point as the Aira 16oz candles featured on this page. That said, these candles are still, for example, only a few dollars off Aira’s 8oz size candle in price and these are a higher-end, more designer look candle. What’s more, because a percentage of the proceeds will be going towards a good cause you can be sure your dollars won’t be wasted.
The Best Soy Wax Candle For Men: Old Factory
Old Factory make candles for men. Well, they’re for women too but they definitely have scents that would appeal to guys and the packaging is very much on the masculine side.
These hand-poured soy wax candles have cotton paper wicks and are made with premium-grade pure fragrance oils so they’re safe and free from harmful chemicals.
They come in a set of three different fragrances and each set has a theme: Coffee Shop, Man Cave, Happy Hour, Hippie mix… I think you get the idea. There are about a dozen themes to choose from, so if you’re buying them as a gift you’ll be able to choose one to suit that persons taste.
They are all soft white in color so for example, the coffee scent isn’t coffee-colored, just so you know. You might have noticed from the pictures they each have the exact same Old Factory label on the front, but don’t worry, that’s not a problem because it’ll tell you what scent it is on the bottom. In fact, it’s quite nice how uniform they look because of that. Definitely adds to the classy vibe.
The quality of the light from these candles is actually really good, thanks to the clear glass and unimposing label. The label doesn’t wrap all the way around the candle or stretch all the way from the top to the bottom, so you can actually see the candle inside, unlike with the apothecary-style candles by Malicious Women Candle Co. we featured above.
They also each have a plain black screw lid which will keep the dust out and the scent in, giving them a longer shelf life than those that don’t have lids.
We love the vintage design of the box. It looks classy and masculine and is easily good enough to present as a gift as it is, in the original box.
Inside, the 4oz jars are pretty small. In fact, they’d fit in the palm of your hand, but you do get 3 of them in each set so it’s the equivalent of buying a 12oz jar but divided into 3 scents.
What We Like:
- Gift Box – The vintage look box looks good and really suits the masculine themed scents. The nice box means you’d be happy to give one of these sets to someone as a gift.
- Wide Choice of Fragrances – Each set has three different fragrances on a theme. Hippie Mix, for example, contains cannabis, incense, and bag o’ cookies. There are loads of different themes to choose from which is great because there’s a set to suit just about everyone.
- Hand Poured Candles with Cotton Paper Wicks and Premium-Grade Pure Fragrance Oils – Hand poured candles are made by artisan candlemakers rather than factory machinery. They are also made in smaller batches. Not that there’s anything bad about factory-produced candles as long as the company is reputable and follows strict guidelines but the knowing your candle has been hand made by a skilled candlemaker does mean that each candle has been made with care and expertise. Think freshly brewed coffee against instant.
- Good Scent Throw – Definitely not overpowering. They smell natural and true to their descriptions.
- Secure Lid – The screw lid will keep your fragrance fresh and stop dust settling on the wax. It’s also the safest way to put out the flame. Simply screw the lid back on when you’re done and the flame goes out.
Things to Consider:
- Size – The 4oz jar size is smaller than average. But burn time is still 20 -30 hrs per jar and you do get 3 jars in the set.
- None Organically Grown Soy – The soy is sourced from all over the US so there may be some organically grown soy in there but only incidentally.
- Light Scent Throw – They’re not overpowering, which is good. And they do give off a good aroma but if you want them to really pack a punch you may be disappointed.
The Best Soy Wax Candle For Your Home: Aira Soy Candles
Aira soy candles look just like you made them yourself at home in your own kitchen, like you blended your own organically grown soy wax with some good quality essential oils added nice cotton wick and then hand-poured the melted wax into old mason jars. You could even have printed off some pretty labels like these, stuck them on the front and packed them into simple brown paper card boxes to give to neighbors and friends and gifts. There’s nothing fancy about them, they look wholesome and natural and you know what? They pretty much are.
The clear glass jar and minimal labeling allow you to see the flame as it burns all the way down. I mention this because the soft nature of soy wax in general, means, that it’s unsuitable for pillar candle making. Soy candles need a container to hold them up. That’s why with so many soy candles it’s all about the jar. Sometimes you can’t even see the actual candle inside. The Malicious Women Co candles featured above, are an example of this.
Of course, depending on the effect you want that’s not necessarily a bad thing but with these candles, you’re going to get all the cozy glow of a regular candle when you burn it in low light, without any of the toxic nasties you get with the paraffin kind.
We really like the lids too, they’re chunky and substantial looking. They work well with the rustic homemade look and of course, that fact that they’re the screw-on type stops them getting dusty. Dust and soy wax do not make a good combo. These lids will also keep your scent nice and fresh and just as strong as your first use.
These candles smell as natural as they look and they are pretty true to their label description. They’re not overly strong but do give off a lovely sweet aroma.
You’ve got a choice of 2 sizes, 8ozs and 16ozs, but the larger size is way better value for money and will give you a whopping 110+ burn hours.
What We Like:
- Wide Choice of Scents – There are more than 25 scents to choose from including several single scent options such a Lavender, Lemongrass or Honeysuckle for example. Great if you prefer pure scents rather than mixed ones. That said, the mixed scents are all nice combos too, nothing too weird or controversial. The scents themselves are made from essential oil blends. No toxic or harmful chemicals have been added for the appearance, scent or function of these candles.
- Organically Grown Soy – Responsibly grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides. As we’ve said before, the environmental impact of producing soy is pretty much dependant on how and where the soy is grown. US soybean production causes no forest loss or degradation and no pesticides or herbicides are used in growing organic soy. Soy wax is also 100% biodegradable.
- Hand Poured with Cotton Wicks – Again, hand-poured candles aren’t made by factory machinery. They’re made with care in small batches by artisan candlemakers who have real skills and expertise. Think of a freshly home-baked bread straight from the oven vs grocery store bread.
- Packaging – We think these simple brown paper card boxes tied up with brown string and their sweet labels on the front give these candles a real artisan look. We think they’d make a great kitchen-themed gift either by themselves or teamed with another rustic looking kitchen item.
Things to Consider:
- Price – This only really applies to the smaller jar. With the larger size, you can get double the size of candle for only a few extra dollars. It kinda makes the smaller size not worth choosing which is a shame if you wanted to try out a new scent before going all-in on a 16 oz jar.
The Best Recycled Wine Bottle Soy Candle: Paddywax Eco Candles
These sweet 8oz green glass candles look elegant and classy. You just imagine relaxing with a nice glass of white wine when you see them. That’s because, as you can tell from the picture, these soy candles have been creatively made from upcycled wine bottles.
They are all made from white and apposed to red wine bottles so whichever scent you choose, the jar will be green, and don’t they just make the perfect container?
These are not the only wine bottle style soy candles you can get, but unlike others, these candles have a nice lid. Lids are always a good thing to look out for when choosing a soy candle because as we’ve said before, lids keep out the dust and help keep the scent from evaporating, especially as the candles start to burn down.
The natural-looking wooden lid on these Paddywax candles adds a really nice touch and what’s more, they fit well thanks to the rubber seal that runs around the rim. Each one has a letter P for Paddywax branded onto the top of the lid which only adds to the overall design and just hints the brand it stands for.
The labels don’t swamp the glass so you can see more of the glass itself and also the candle in it. That’s a good thing as you’ll get more light from the candle and you’ll also be able to see the flame as the candle burns down toward the bottom. We like that the labels aren’t gimmicky, as in they’re not designed to look like wine labels. In fact, they have a pretty botanical illustration on a printed hessian patterned background which hints at the natural botanical scents of the candles inside.
The 8oz glass soy candles are made from a non-toxic soy-blend wax and have a US-sourced cotton wick. Each candle is a soft white color so no strong colors to detract or clash with the stylish green wine bottle glass.
What We Like:
- Wide Choice of Scents -There are ten to choose from and you can even get a matching diffuser to leave in a room where a candle isn’t such a good idea. The scent throw is strong, though not overpowering. They are all on the botanical and herb side and in case you were wondering, there are no actual wine scents in any of them. Each candle has a blend of more than one scent but each combination works well together. Bamboo & Green Tea and Thyme & Olive Leaf are a couple of good examples. It’s also very reassuring to know that Paddy wax say they take pride in never using synthetic fragrance.
- Reusable Jar– Although all the jars featured here are reusable, these jars stand out from the regular masonry jar ones. You’re definitely going to want to keep them. Whether they have the candle in them or have been reused to hold something else, they’re so elegant, they’re pretty much going enhance the look of any room in your home. Soy wax is pretty easy to clean up with hot water, so that’s good to know for when you’re ready to reuse the glass jar for something else.
- Secure Lid – Although not as tight-fitting as a screw lid, these lids do have a good seal around the rim so your candles will keep their freshness for longer especially as the candle starts to burn down.
Things to Consider:
- Fragile – Because of the nature of the glass design, they are a little prone to getting knocked and chipped or broken. You should also try to avoid touching the rim of the glass. The glass has been sanded and smoothed but the edges could still potentially be sharp.
Best Soy Wax Candle for Scent Throw: Cozy Glow Hand Made Soy Candle
These clear glass mason jar style soy candles are pretty and colorful to look at, but the best thing about them is their amazing strong scent throw. You can even smell these candles in a room just with the lid off when they’re not lit. There’s a good variety of scents to choose from although many of them smell more like delicious flavors coming from your kitchen than perfume.
They’re made from 100% organically grown soy wax. This should be standard for a soy candle but unfortunately, many companies still add paraffin wax to the soy wax because it’s easier to get a good fragrance and yet they can still legally call them soy candles and they’re made using only pure essential oils and natural scents so they are 100% natural, and vegan-friendly.
These candles, unlike many others, are not all soft white in appearance, many of them have a strong colored wax which really makes them stand out, especially those with the newer more brightly colored labels. See more about the labels below.
What We Like:
- Wide Choice of Fragrances – This is great because if you like the strong scent throw and look of this candle but would like to try another scent in the same candle there are plenty to choose from. Other than the ones already shown above you can choose from flavors such as Cherry Bakewell, Rainy Days, Sandalwood, Rose, Patchouli, Candy Cane, Sweet Pea, Strawberry Laces, Cinnamon, Watermelon, Banana Split, Gingerbread, Lemongrass, Lavender and Vanilla, Cucumber, Christmas Pudding, and Frozen Margarita, to name but a few.
- Choice of Two Sizes – Choose between an 11oz or a 17oz jar. Not all soy candles give you a choice and even the smaller size at 11oz s is more generous than many.
- Good Burn Time – The smaller size should give you 30 – 40 hrs and the larger size should give you 60 – 80 hrs of burn time. As already mentioned, although the burn time is generally related to the size of the candle, the size, and make-up of the wick and the ratio of fragrance to wax also a factor. Soy candles burn cooler and therefore longer than regular paraffin candles but these candles have a particularly good burn time denoting a good scent to wax ratio and wick.
- Strong Natural Scent Throw – They are made only with Pure Essential Oils and natural scents, what’s more, because the wax is poured only just before the wax starts to set you can be sure the scent will remain evenly mixed and therefore maintain its strength throughout. The one I have that is at the bottom 1/2 inch is as strong in scent as its first use! The scent itself is stronger than many so you might want to reduce the time the candle is lit but because the fragrances are clean and natural it’s not going to overpower you or your home.
- Organic and Eco-friendly – Made from sustainably grown soy wax. Not all soy is certified as sustainably grown. Here in the US, almost all soy production is regulated by the Soy Sustainability Assurance Protocol (SSAP) which provides strict guidelines and conservation practices for farmers growing soy. If you’re concerned about the environment, knowing where the soy in your candles comes from is important. It goes without saying that there is no degradation or forest loss in the production of these candles they are also made without the use of pesticides or herbicides and are vegan-friendly. Soy wax is also 100% biodegradable.
- Secure Lid – Soy wax by its nature is softer than regular paraffin wax which is why soy candles tend to come in jars. This inherently means less wax mess dripping everywhere as it’s all contained within the jar. However, they don’t all have lids. Those that don’t tend to gather dust and lose their scent if not used regularly and soon after purchase, giving them a much shorter shelf life. Of those that do have lids, the lid can be loose-fitting which doesn’t help with scent loss and therefore shelf-life either. The Jelly Pot style screw lid of these candles keeps the fragrance fresh when not in use, it also keeps dust out and is handy for extinguishing the flame. You just simply screw the lid back on when you want to put the flame out.
Things to Consider:
- Inconsistent labels – We contacted Cozy Glow about their labels because although some of the labels are very retro looking, others have a more colorful label with a subtle geometric design and white type. Cozy Glow are in the process of changing their label design over to the geometric shape ones. Both the retro and newer geometric ones look good but if you much prefer the older labels you may be disappointed when you want to reorder.
I love these candles, an Apple Pie one has been filling my home with a most delicious scent over the last few months. Yes, it really has lasted that long because you only need to burn it for around 10-15 minutes to fill your home with a lovely natural aroma that lasts.
Are Candles Toxic?
The problem with paraffin candles, you know, regular candles is that when burned they can release toxic VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds. You get these nasty little compounds emitting from seemingly innocent household items like carpets, furniture, cleaning products, laundry detergents, dishwasher detergents, disinfectants, and more obviously, paint, varnishes and aerosol sprays.
And they are seriously bad for your health.
Not only are these VOCs carcinogenic but they can cause damage to the liver, kidney and central nervous system as well as causing short-term adverse effects such as eye nose and throat irritation, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness. Not great especially if you have allergies.
And that’s before we even consider the artificial chemical fragrances they add. That stuff is equally as bad!
But back to the paraffin, did you know that you are getting the same VOC emissions from a paraffin candle that you get in diesel fumes namely benzene and toluene.
Even if regular candles are not the worst culprits of VOCs in your home, you definitely don’t want to add anything that is potentially harmful to you and your family’s health if you can buy a safe alternative that frankly has a far more natural and pleasant aroma.
Are Soy Candles Safe?
Soy wax is completely non-toxic it’s a vegetable wax made from the hydrogenated oil extracted from soybeans and doesn’t release any toxins into the air. So soy candles are a safe natural alternative to paraffin candles.
What about the fragrances in scented soy candles? You should always buy soy candles from reputable artisan soy candle companies who use non-toxic fragrances and essential oils to scent their candles and add no toxic or harmful chemicals aid in the appearance, scent or function of the candles.
Fortunately, there is a good selection out there and of course, the candles we have chosen to review in this article have been carefully selected to be the best and safest you can get.
Are Soy Candles Safe For Dogs?
Soy Candles are absolutely safe for your dog. That is as long as the scents used in the candles are safe and there are no other questionable additives.
Best Candles For Pet Odor: One Fur All
One Fur All make a 100% Natural Soy Wax Candle with a choice of 20 pet-friendly fragrances. They are made from dye-free soy wax and contain absolutely no paraffin or petroleum by-products. They are completely non-toxic and allergen-free and what’s more, they are made with a custom blend of essential oils specially designed to eliminate odor and create a calm and tranquil atmosphere for your dog.
Soy vs Beeswax Candles
Without a doubt the benefits of choosing a soy candle over a regular candle are huge, but they are not the only all-natural and safe alternative out there.
Beeswax candles are a great alternative to soy candles and have unique qualities of their own.
If you’d like to read more about the differences between soy and beeswax candles, we have a handy guide and compassion on each here.
Lastly, while you are here if you are looking for a cozy glow that’s also eco-friendly why not check out our Bio Ethanol Fireplace reviews, here.
If you find our reviews helpful, why not check out our other reviews below…
- The Best Outdoor Misting Fans for 2019
- The Best Solar Attic Fans for 2019
- The Best Whole Home Air Purifier
- The Best Beeswax Candles for 2019