Bean bags are basically fun furniture – they are also soft, extremely comfortable while giving you good support and they look good. They come in so many colors shapes and sizes, you can brighten up your whole room just by adding one, or you can match one in seamlessly with your decor.
They are are not all bean-filled either. While some quality bean bags are filled with virgin polystyrene beads, others have soft shredded memory foam, that will bounce every time and keep your bean bag looking plump and like new.
We will take a look at the best bean bags out there, find out what’s good or not so good about each one in our full reviews and we will also be giving you helpful tips and answering a few questions.
Here are our top choices:
The Best Bean Bag Chair:
Cozy Sack Bean Bag Chair
The Best Bean Bag Chair-
Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
The Best Bean Bag Chair Design:
Fatboy Original Bean Bag
The Budget Option Bean Bag Chair:
Big Joe Milano Bean Bag Chair
The Best Beanbag Chairs Reviewed
The Best Bean Bag Chair: Cozy Sack Bean Bag Chair
The Cozy Sack Bean Bag Chair is our top pick in the bean bag world here’s why:
The Cozy Sack is a super-soft, high-quality, shredded foam, filled (beanless) bean bag chair. Although the spec is very similar to the Chill Sack ones we will be looking at next, this one has the edge over the Chill Sack when it comes to the filling.
Most foam filled bean bag chairs contain torn chunky almost square-shaped foam pieces, which can feel a little lumpy. The Cozy Sack, however, contains long smooth strands of urethane foam, similar in size and shape to a pencil. (Urethane foam is generally used in all types of mattresses and pillows.) These foam strands fill the bag shape better, don’t tend to clump in the way chunky pieces do, and you won’t see or feel any clumps and lumps.
What’s more, the foam is 100% CertiPUR-US certified foam. This means the foam conforms to stringent guidelines and testing and is certified to not contain formaldehyde, phthalates, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP, flame retardants, mercury, lead or any other heavy metals.
The bean bag chair we have shown is the 4 feet one, which is a generous size for one adult to sit in without being too big for most people’s needs, but there are several alternative sizes to choose from.
The covers, which are removable and machine washable, are made from a super soft microsuede fabric and there is a good range of color choices to suit any decor.
What we love about these Cozy Sack bean bags chairs it that, you can buy replacement covers for them if you feel like a change in color at some point or if you change your decor and you want your bean bag chair to match in, or contrast with it.
Pro tip for when you first get your bean bag: Don’t worry if your bean bag chair looks a little flat, saggy and lumpy, for the first few days. It will expand all on its own eventually, but it can take more than a week to plump up fully and to get the maximum fluff out of it, you will need to give it a hand by turning or rolling the chair over frequently and fluffing it up to loosen and break up the clumped together foam pieces inside. The more you do this the fluffier it will get and if you want an even fuller bean bag you can buy extra foam here.
The Cozy Sack Bean Bag Chair is made and manufactured here in the US.
Let’s take a closer look:
What We Like:
- The Filling – The filling in these bean bag chairs is specifically designed to fill the bag better and feel as soft, fluffy and as smooth as possible – and of course, it’s made from 100% CertiPUR-US certified foam so is certified to not contain formaldehyde, phthalates, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP, flame retardants, mercury, lead or any other heavy metals.
- Replaceable Covers- We love that you can buy replacement covers for these bean bag chairs. They are big and will take up a fair amount of space in your room. So if you change your mind about the color at some point or change your decor, its good to know you can change your bean bag chair cover easily.
- Wide Choice of Sizes – The 4′ size is ideal in that it’s not going to take over your room and is just right for one adult to sit on. If you want to size up, the 5′ one is roomier to curl up in and it’s perfect for 2 children to sit together. You can choose your size here.
- Good Choice of Colors– There is a color to suit just about any decor. So you can keep it subtle and blend in with your existing color scheme or go bold and really make a statement with a bright contrasting color.
Things to Consider:
- It’s a Little Pricier than Our Next Pick – The higher price point of the Cozy Sack bean bag chairs is due to the filling which differs from that of the Chill Sack ones. There’s not a huge difference in price but if you’re on a budget then the Chill Sack next is a good option.
The Best Bean Bag Chair Alternative Pick: Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
The Chill Sack is a super-soft high-quality shredded memory foam blend filled (beanless) bean bag chair. Although the spec is very similar to the Cozy Sack ones, a Chill Sack bean bag chair will cost you less.
The main difference between the two is the filling. Where the Cozy Sack is filled with long strands of urethane foam, the Chill Sack contains a shredded memory foam/foam blend. Although the filling in these bean bags is a little more chunky than that of the Cozy Sack bean bags, the fact that they contain memory foam is a big plus point. Memory foam has the most ‘bounce back’ quality of any type of foam so it will help to prevent your chair from flattening over time.
The one shown is the 4′ size. We’ve chosen this because we think it is the best size that most people will like, but if you want a larger or smaller one, and you can choose from a small kids 2 feet size right up to a huge 7.5 feet couch size, you can find them here on Amazon.
One of the things we love about these Chill Sack Bean Bag Chairs is that they come in a wide array of colors and there a couple of fabric options too. Choose from an ultrafur, pebble texture or plain micro suede fiber option. These covers are soft, stain-resistant but more importantly, the covers are removable and are fully machine washable. They are also double stitched for extra strength and durability.
The shape design is soft and pebble-like, but there is a nice drum-shaped structure to it too with stitching that runs around the top and base.
The Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair is made and manufactured here in the US.
Let’s take a closer look:
What We Like:
- Soft Shredded Memory Foam Blend Filler – The blend is foam and memory foam. Memory foam is super-resilient and has maximum bounce-back qualities. It’s also super soft and unlike some polystyrene filled chairs which are quite hard to sit on because they tend to roll and move about too much, you won’t find yourself sliding off this one easily.
- Wide Choice of Sizes – Again, the 4′ size is ideal in that it’s not going to take over your room and is just right for one adult to sit on. If you can accommodate a larger one, then we say go for it, the 5′ one is roomier to curl up in and it’s perfect for 2 children to sit together. You can choose your size here.
- Wide Choice of Colors– There is a color to suit just about any decor. So you can keep it subtle and blend in with your existing color scheme or go bold and really make a statement with a bright contrasting color.
- Removable, Washable Cover – The cover has a double stitched concealed zip for easy removal and whether you choose the ultrafur, pebble texture or plain micro suede fiber option, they all wash well.
Things to Consider:
- Not Always Enough Filling – The covers can look a little loose over the bag sometimes. If you fluff the bag up properly and regularly to break up any clumps you will get the maximum fluff effect, but if you want your bean bag chair to look super overstuffed you can easily add more filling, and there is a handy interior zip so there is no unpicking of any seems involved.
- No Replacement Covers – This is the only real downside to the Chill Sack. The covers are durable and easy to clean and care for, but an option to buy a replacement cover would be handy if say, you really want to change the color of your bean bag chair at some point or spill something that won’t come off. If you prefer to go for a bean bag chair that does come with that option, then go for the Cozy Sack bean bag chair above.
The Best Bean Bag Chair Design: Fatboy Original Bean Bag
You don’t need me to tell you just how fabulous these huge bean bags look. Add one to a corner of a room and you will have an instant minimalist, modern, designer look.
The Original Fatboy Bean Bag, designed by Jukka Setälä – an award-winning Finnish interior architect who has been teaching furniture design at the University of Art and Design in Helsinki since 1999 – is a perfect example of creative, outside the box thinking. Not only do they look good, but they are so comfortable you could just dive straight in and lose yourself for days in one.
The Fatboy is such a simple idea and a simple design too. Whichever way you sit, the soft beads will mold to your shape and fully support you.
The Original Fatboy bean bag is an ideal way to relax and will certainly bring out the big kid in you.
The Original Fatboy bean bag is versatile too. Unlike other large round bean bags that are only suitable for sitting, the Fatboy at 70 x 55 x 8 inches is long enough to semi-recline or even lie on and it can be shaped into a wide variety of positions. Simply give it a shake and shape it roughly how you would like to sit on it and that’s it, dive in! The cover is made from a thick durable nylon with a protective coating that is stain, water-resistant and easy to clean with damp cloth and mild soap.
The Fatboy is a “real” bean bag. It is filled with beads as opposed to foam. This makes it much lighter to pick up and move about. In fact, at just 15lbs, it’s around a third of the weight of the beanless ones we have looked at above.
What’s more, only virgin polystyrene beads are used so, unlike bean bags that are filled with broken up pieces of repurposed polystyrene usually from packing, the beads in the Fatboy are not squashed, broken or clumped together.
The Original Fatboy comes in a wide array of vibrant colors or softer tones and will suit almost any room. Of course, if you have children, they will absolutely love the Fatboy and there is a smaller version available just for them!
What We Like:
- Unique Shape – The rectangular shape of the Fatboy is different from standard bean bag chairs. This gives it more versatility in that you can position it in more ways. You can place it flat on the floor to lie on, or upright to make a chair, or even lay it on its side as pictured above.
- Ultra Modern Design – This one gets the award for Best Design for a reason – it looks amazing! If you love the minimalist look, this bean bag chair is the one for you. It’s super high-end looking and very stylish. After all, it was designed by an award-winning Finnish interior architect.
Things to Consider:
- Non-Removable Cover – The nylon cover is durable, wipe clean and stain-resistant. But if at a future date, you want a different color, you’re basically buying a new bean bag chair.
- Not Always Enough Filling – This bag is designed not to be filled to the top, but if you want your bean bag chair to be very full, this bean bag chair may not be for you.
The Budget Option Bean Bag Chair: Big Joe Milano Bean Bag Chair
If you’re looking for a budget option bean bag chair, at under $50 the Big Joe Milano Bean Bag Chair is a good choice.
These chairs unlike the others we have looked at, are actually chair-shaped, so you get a little extra support for your back and arms.
They come in a variety of color choices and the fabric is durable, wipe clean, stain-resistant, double-stitched and has an unlockable zipper.
There’s a choice of 2 styles, one is shown above, the Smartmax shown right is basically the same but has more panels.
At 32 x 28 x 25 inches, they’re not as big or bulky as any of the other equivalent size bean bag chairs we have looked at, but they will easily hold an average adult and of course, they’re a good size for kids too.
They’re filled with UltimaX Beans which are actually 100% recyclable virgin polystyrene beans.
Though they are not generously filled, that’s not a problem, as they are actually designed to be refilled. This means you can easily add more beans to start with if you want a custom filled chair.
We love the neat carry handle which gives them a tactile quality. It makes you want to grab one and throw it down just where you want to sit – something you’d never do with an armchair.
Let’s take a closer look:
What We Like:
- Price – At well under $50 they won’t break the bank, but they don’t compromise on style – they are well designed and so they certainly aren’t cheap looking.
- Compact Size – They don’t spill out and spread like the blob designs do so they won’t swamp your room.
- Light Weight – They are the lightest of all the bean bag chairs we have looked at, weighing only 8.35 pounds. So they are easy to pick up and move around.
- No Set-Up Required – Unlike the foam-filled beanbag chair which need some fairly intense fluffing up to help them expand when they are new, these chairs require no setup. Once they are unpacked you can dive straight in.
Things to Consider:
- Not Always Enough Filling – However, you can easily buy extra beans for a custom fill.
For Extra Filling click below.
Weight: 8.35 pounds
Are Bean Bags Bad for Your Posture?
There’s no question that a bean bag would be your kid’s furniture of choice – every time. Bean Bag Chairs are so soft and welcoming you could lose yourself for days in one – but wait, they look like they’re too much fun to be actually good for you…
When you think back to your childhood, even if you weren’t lucky enough to have your own bean bag, relaxing on the couch or in an armchair didn’t mean sitting motionless in an upright position for long periods. Like all kids, you would have moved around, or the chances are you’d have had your feet up, possibly even in mid-air or hanging over the arm or back of the chair and you would just as likely to have been quite comfortable sprawled out on the floor. Kids are naturally flexible and have an inbuilt motivation to move and change position. As we get older we move less and less and this, in turn, makes our joints stiff, we become less flexible and develop aches and pains mostly caused by bad posture.
Bean Bag Chairs are such a simple idea and a simple design too. Whichever way you sit, the chair will mold to your shape and fully support you. What’s more, unlike a sofa which you have to conform to in order to get comfortable, the ergonomic design of a bean bag will conform to you, making you comfortable in whichever position you sit and this will give you the freedom to find new ways to relax, allowing you to change positions easily.
Of course, if you sit in any position for too long then it’s not going to be great for you back and neck, whether your on a bean bag or a chair or couch, but with a bean bag, rather than passively sitting you will find you are actively sitting, stretching your body, which will keep you more supple and in the longer term prevent stiffness.
While you are here if you find our reviews helpful, why not check out our other reviews below…
- The Best Wood Burning Kits for 2019
- The Best Hoverboards for Kids for 2019
- The Best Outdoor Misting Fans For 2019
- The Best Solar Attic Fans for 2019
- The Best Bio Ethanol Fire Places for 2019
- The Best Whole Home Air Purifier
- The Best Beeswax Candles for 2019
- The Best Soy Candles for 2019